Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hello AVG Free, Goodbye Symantec Anti-Virus

For the last month I have been using AVG Free instead of Norton Anti-Virus. I'm no longer paying $25/year for updates when there's software giving the same thing for nothing, and without bogging down the machine as much. So far so good. AVG scans my machine with a low priority process that seems to just stay out of the way.

Best of all, I no longer have any dollar costs for maintaining my computer, which makes it easier to consider switching to Mac.
---
I've used some version of Norton Utilities or other for over twenty years. The original Norton Utilities were really powerful command-line tools, including a fabulous disk sector editor for DOS which I used for endless investigation and mutation of floppy disks. It was a nice little tool for really understanding disk structure, recovering lost data and, every once in a while, unlocking nifty little secrets. Playing with computers just isn't the same without a powerful Norton utility.

No comments: