Those of us that have become Friends of Eclipse are eligible to download it today. Like last year, I'm using the bittorrent links. (If you're not a Friend of Eclipse, you'll have to wait until Wednesday.)
But here's why using bittorrent to get your Eclipse distribution is a contribution to the Eclipse community:
- Downloading by bittorrent means you can seed many other users.
- This gives the rest of the community faster access than a standard download.
- For extra credit, download more distributions than you need, providing even more seeds. For instance, I don't use Windows, but many people do. I can make a difference for those users, too.
- Any bandwidth you contribute so someone else can download Eclipse results in less bandwidth required by the Eclipse Foundation. In other words, you're saving money for the Eclipse Foundation.
- It gives me a chance to do another 48-hour analysis.